Alex de Minaur says he is “devastated” after withdrawing from Wimbledon ahead of his quarter-final against Novak Djokovic on Wednesday due to a hip injury.

The Australian No. 1 and world No. 9, who is enjoying the best season of his career, tore a cartilage in his hip in Monday’s final match against Arthur Fils in his fourth-round match.

De Minaur’s expression changed immediately as he claimed victory and despite playing down the injury in his subsequent press conference, the 25-year-old’s withdrawal was confirmed on Wednesday afternoon when he admitted to feeling a “loud crack” in the final three points of Monday’s match.

The seven-time Wimbledon champion Djokovic can therefore easily qualify for the semi-finals on Friday, where he will face Taylor Fritz or Lorenzo Musetti.

“This was absolutely not an announcement I wanted to make,” De Minaur, the boyfriend of British No. 1 Katie Boulter, said at a press conference on Wednesday afternoon.

“Yes, I am devastated, but I had to withdraw due to a hip injury. I felt a loud bang during the last three points of my match against Fils and had a scan yesterday, which confirmed that this was the injury and that there was a high risk of it getting worse if I stepped onto the pitch.

“It’s no secret that at this stage of my career this was the biggest race of my career. I knew the result yesterday, but I was hoping that I would wake up today and feel some kind of miracle.

“The problem when I go to play is that one stretch, slip or whatever can cause this injury to last from three to six weeks to four months.”

Djokovic, who criticized the Wimbledon crowd on Monday evening after his victory over Holger Rune, therefore has three days off before his next match on Friday.

Alex de Minaur has withdrawn from Wimbledon due to a hip injury
Alex de Minaur has withdrawn from Wimbledon due to a hip injury (Getty Images)
It means Novak Djokovic gets a walkover into the semi-finals
It means Novak Djokovic gets a walkover into the semi-finals (AFP via Getty Images)

The 24-time Grand Slam winner is looking to win back his Wimbledon crowd after losing to Carlos Alcaraz in last year’s final. Alcaraz will face Daniil Medvedev in the other semi-final on Friday.

De Minaur’s withdrawal leaves a free spot on Wednesday’s Centre Court schedule, following the women’s singles quarterfinal between Elena Rybakina and Elina Svitolina.

The tournament has confirmed that the following matches will take place after the first match:

MIXED DOUBLES – SECOND ROUND

J. Zielinski (POL) 7 & S. Hsieh (TPE) 7 vs. J. Salisbury (GBR) & H. Watson (GBR)

LADIES INVITATION DOUBLES – ROUND ROBIN

A. Barty (AUS) and C. Dellacqua (AUS) vs. A. Petkovic (GER) and M. Rybarikova (SVK)