An investment banker on a dream trip to South America was forced to have his “dead” leg amputated after a terrible motorcycle accident.

Luke Tarrant left his investment banking job last September to embark on the journey of a lifetime, from the United States to Antarctica.

The 28-year-old said he knew motorcycle riding could be dangerous and believed “something was bound to happen eventually.”

He said: “I have always had a passion for motorcycling and this was the dream trip I had been planning for a while. I quit my job for this and had an incredible time.”

He was eight months into his adventure when he suffered a life-changing accident while riding in Colombia on May 30.

Luke Tarrant had no memory of his motorcycle accident, but he was seriously injured.

In addition to losing his leg, Luke also broke his tibia, collarbone and right hand.

Luke embarked on the journey of a lifetime, riding his motorbike from the United States to Antarctica

Luke, from Bedford, has no memory of the accident and is still trying to piece together the sequence of events.

After waking up in a ditch by the side of the road, he was picked up by a stranger and rushed to hospital for urgent treatment.

There, doctors informed him that he had broken his tibia, collarbone and right hand, and that his left leg was “dead” and would have to be amputated.

Luke said: “I was in Colombia and returning to Ecuador when the accident happened.

“I don’t remember anything. I remember waking up in a ditch and I have a brief memory of someone holding me. It’s like trying to remember a bad dream: just tiny fragments of memories.”

“My bike was obviously destroyed. The surface could have been slippery, but police said they saw no signs of another vehicle being involved. They don’t know exactly what happened.”

“At the hospital, I was immediately told that I would lose my leg. I was told that there was no way to save it and that it was already dead.

Luke rode his bike for nine months before his accident

He admits that he knew the bike was dangerous and believed that “something had to happen sooner or later.”

Luke quit his investment banking job to pursue his dream trip

“I was in survival mode when they told me. I felt pretty rational about it. After I woke up after surgery, I felt great. I made peace with it almost immediately, it was very weird.”

After the surgery, Luke’s health deteriorated as he developed sepsis, blood clots and fluid in his lungs, forcing him to be placed on a ventilator.

He was transferred to intensive care due to sepsis after his amputation. He was later placed on a ventilator after his lungs began filling with fluid and blood clots.

Luke said: “At that point I realised this was the danger zone. Sepsis was much worse than amputation – it nearly killed me.

“I think I was in intensive care for about a week, and then when the sepsis became less of a concern, they focused on trying to treat the amputated leg.”

Luke underwent eight surgeries on his left leg in two weeks. During that time, Luke’s family began documenting his recovery on Instagram to update loved ones on his condition, gaining over 100,000 followers.

Luke is now learning to live with one leg and hopes his story will inspire others.

Luke has started a fundraiser to help pay for private physiotherapy

Thankfully he recovered and was able to return to the UK after a month in a Colombian hospital. He stayed in an amputee centre to adjust to life with just one leg.

He said: “Deep down I always knew that if I did a high-risk activity like motorcycling, something would eventually happen.

“I accepted that early on. I’m not going to let my leg grow back, so I might as well keep going.”

Since the accident, Luke has been determined to use his story as a force for good, documenting his amputation journey on social media to help others.

He said: “At first I was just updating my friends. And when I started using my phone again I kept updating people and it slowly started to turn into something different.

“People have been messaging me saying they’ve seen my story and it’s motivated them. I’m starting to see it a little differently than I did before. I hope it can be used as a force for good.”

A fundraiser has since been launched to help pay for Luke’s private physiotherapy as well as any prosthetics he may need, which has already raised £55,000 in donations.

Luke said: “I am incredibly grateful for all the support. I have received messages from people from all walks of life. It has taught me that no matter what comes my way in life, I know I will be able to handle it. The generosity of others has made me want to give back.”